Questions concerning Earth's climate and environment and the consequences of global change present some of the most challenging, exciting and important problems in the 21st Century. Scientists at the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies created real contributing research roles for students and teachers. The overviews of team projects and the papers, abstracts and posters presented are archived as an educational resource. We hope it will be used by students and teachers to build on our findings and make their own research contributions to the interdisciplinary study of climate and global change.
Each year the science leaders of ICP research teams prepare plans to guide their endeavors. All the projects contribute to core research areas at GISS and priorities of NASA's Earth Science Enterprise. In many instances research is designed to continue projects from the previous summer. However, some plans mark the beginning of a new research team or initiate a new project for an existing team.
A high priority for ICP student and faculty researchers is to share their science results with scientists, their peers, educators, and members of their community. Following is a sampling of papers, posters, and abstracts written by students and faculty about research they conducted during an ICP Summer Institute session at GISS.
ICP research has also led to and/or contributed to the following presentations and articles in scholarly publications.
- Liepert, B., A. Anderson, and N. Ewart 2003. Spatial variability of atmospheric transparency in the New York metropolitan area in summer (4.2 MB PDF). Poster presented at American Geophysical Union Fall 2003 Meeting.
- Parikh, J.A., J.S. DaPonte, J.N. Vitale, and G. Tselioudis 1999. An evolutionary system for recognition and tracking of synoptic-scale storm systems. Pattern Recognition Lett. 20, 1389-1396.
- Phillips, J.G., M.A. Cane, and C. Rosenzweig 1998. ENSO, seasonal rainfall patterns and simulated maize yield variability in Zimbabwe. Agri. Forest Meteor. 90, 39-50.
- Hansen, J., C. Harris, C. Borenstein, B. Curran, and M. Fox 1997. Research education. J. Geophys. Res. 102, 25677-25678.
- Hansen, J., et al. 1997. Forcings and chaos in interannual to decadal climate change. J. Geophys. Res. 102, 25679-25720.
- Hansen, J., et al. 1996. A Pinatubo climate modeling investigation. In The Mount Pinatubo Eruption: Effects on the Atmosphere and Climate (G. Fiocco, D. Fua, and G. Visconti, Eds.). NATO ASI Series Vol. I 42, pp. 233-272. Springer-Verlag. Heidelberg, Germany.
ICP Weather Station Data
Data collected by ICP's Davis Weather Monitor II at NASA GISS, including temperature, pressure, humidity, wind, etc.
ICP ERBE Data Visualizer
A Java applet that allows interactive viewing and manipulation of satellite data in order to examine in detail earth's radiation balance. The data was collected by NASA's Earth Radiation Budget Experiment (ERBE) project. (Requires Java1.1-enabled web browser)
NASA GISS Datasets and Images
Index to numerous data resources available from the Goddard Institute for Space Studies. Includes:
Atlas of Extratropical Storm Tracks
Originally created as an ICP project, this dataset has since been revised and expanded and added to the main GISS data collection.